December was a bit of a disappointing month. Here are the concerts I wanted to attend but couldn’t.
– The Pandora Discovery Den, featuring Rudimental and some other people that don’t matter. This was Pandora’s 2nd annual New York Discovery Den, where they sponsor a free show in the Grand Ballroom, which is the swankiest venue in all the land, and one I have never heard of outside of the Discovery Den. This is the second time this year that I missed Rudimental in New York. Bummer.
– The Foo Fighters at Irving Plaza. What happens when you have a massive band announce a show at a tiny venue, price tickets at only $20, and say that you can only buy them in person at a certain date and time? Chaos and disaster, is what. I’m actually kind of glad I was out of town for this one because there’s no way I’d have ever been able to snag a ticket, and this way I didn’t even have to try.
– Basslights, in Hampton, VA. Basslights is the collaboration of Bassnectar and Pretty Lights. I would have been at this show if not for the fact that Hampton, VA is more or less impossible to get to without a car. Even though this annual show has been in the same location for the last 3 years, I’m still holding out hope that they’ll move it to Madison Square Garden in 2015.
– Decadence, in Colorado. Decadence is a 2 day festival in Denver that had basically the best EDM lineup of any festival in 2014. I really wanted to go but the flights to Colorado were outlandish, and I’m saving my money (and credit card points!) to go to Paris. And also to hopefully go to Colorado later in 2015 to see a show at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. But with Big Gigantic, Grizmatik (2 of my favorites, Griz & Gramatik together), Bassnectar, Kaskade, Disclosure, Manic Focus, Michal Menert, Flux Pavilion, Paper Diamond, Exmag, Zedd and Lindsay Lowend…well now I’m just making myself upset.
– Badfish at Brooklyn Bowl. Badfish is a Sublime tribute band. I miss Sublime, and I’m sad I didn’t get the opportunity to go to a concert that actually had words.
Happy almost 2015!